Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Summertime, Pt. 1

After nearly 3 months ... I have returned. I've been tossing around the idea of blogging for about 2 weeks, but when I woke up at 7 a.m. for the third (and notably worst) day in a row - I knew today was the day.

The great thing about summertime is that its very existence is nostalgic. That's why there are "summer blockbusters" at the movie theater and "great summer hits" on the radio. The terrible thing about summertime is that one morning you will wake up and realize it will never really be summertime again. Instead it will be "adulthood" every day for the rest of your life. I fear this destination is looming.

Every summer I reflect on what summer "used to be like." Summers take on different meanings as you grow up; as a little kid it meant summer camp or swim lessons; as a 'tween it meant pool parties and sleepovers with your best friends and SKY Ranch; as an adolescent it meant swearing to never eat a hot dog in front of a boy and absolutely DEMANDING that you wear your hot, new bikini (not the tankini that was SO 7th grade); as a teenager it meant a part-time job, lake houses, making out in the backseat of your car (sorry, parents), and laying out by the pool to work on your tan. As a college student, it means internships, frequent stops at QuickTrip, putting a lot of mileage on your car, and most likely at least one trip to Las Vegas.

I can tell you now that summertime as a graduate student means recovery and shelter-seeking.

Tune in tomorrow when I reflect on MY best summers.

1 comment:

ElyseClakley said...

Car making-out, white short wearing, arbor hills going 05

Letter Painting 06

Exec Summer 07

Europe 08

Wedding 09