Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Logan Show

I watched 2 episodes of The Bill Engvall Show with my parents last night. Hilarious.

What is it about watching a middle-class, midwestern family on television that just makes you want to be a part of one?


Premise (according to me): Bill is the quick-witted, but forgetful husband. While constantly trying to maintain his smokin' hot, but dutiful, wife's affection, the two exchange a charming banter with reference to topics including, but not limited to, the beginning of their relationship, how their children have changed their marriage, how one parent has more ownership over the children than the other, mother-in-laws, etc. They have three diverse children: the clever one, the pretty boy, and the rat-faced younger brother. The best character, however, is the neighbor - played by Tim Meadows. Nosy, socially-insensitive, and oblivious to any real adult responsibility. A true classic.

While I found myself completely sucked into this show, it occurred to me that this is what I'm looking for in a marriage: A series of unlikely, situational conflicts that can be resolved in 30 minutes or less. I wonder if you could actually make your life into a situational comedy? I bet you could. It's all a matter of cognitive reframing (as I say about most things). If you looked at your problems as temporary, interchangable, and humorous, I bet you could accomplish quite a bit. New form of therapy? I think so.


It would also probably make a great TV show.

No comments: