Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Theme Days

Having a busy day at work today:


-Arrived for the 10 AM weekly meeting only to discover there was no meeting. Which happens more than you would think so I should probably stop referring to it as a weekly meeting. How did I discover there wasn't a meeting? I am the only person here.


-So I picked up yesterday and today's OUDaily (also started following OUDaily on Twitter - which was a great idea because it lead me to the conclusion of a saga I watched go down on Asp Avenue on Monday night), thumbed through both papers. Everyone is in an uproar about the BYU ticket situation (and it IS a situation). Why, in a stadium that seats over 100,000 people, would they only sell 1,000 student tickets to the first game of the season in the taj mahal of football stadiums? It's a valid question. I blame Jerry Jones. For most things, actually.


-Elyse called. I answered. Why? Because I'm at work. Duh.


-Drove to 7-11 and got a Diet Dr. Pepper because I needed it really bad.


-Answered one (1) e-mail from the lady at OU Print Services. She's clearly an idiot. Or hates me. I've asked her a question 3 times and she has avoided it on every occasion. So I finally had to send her a picture of what I was talking about. Not because she expressed that she didn't understand what I was describing but because she didn't express even glimmer of acknowledgment.


-Wrote Dr. St. John's letter of support for a Regents' Professorship. Funny how recommendation writing is a two-way street. I'll post it so you can read how inspiring it is:

To: OU Regents' Professorship Selection Committee

From: Logan Leann Lockhart

Date: 08-26-2009

Re: Nomination of Dr. Craig St. John for a Regent’s Professorship

After completing three years as a Sociology undergraduate, I had the pleasure of enrolling in Dr. St. John’s Capstone class. During the preceding semesters I had heard quite a bit of chatter from friends, classmates, passers-by, etc. regarding the imminent doom of the “Capstone experience.” Needless to say, I would have never been able to anticipate what the next fifteen weeks would foster.
I am pleased to report that my “Capstone Experience” at the University of Oklahoma was not at all what I had feared and avoided for many consecutive semesters. Instead of page after page of ridiculous and irrelevant reading materials, I found methodically selected and intentional reading passages designed specifically to highlight the importance of my education in the field of sociology. Instead of lengthy and unnecessary “summary” papers based on copying text, I found succinct written assignments that challenged me to form and defend my own ideation. Instead of day after day of weak discussion and monotonous, disengaging instruction, I found the fascinating, humorous and pertinent dialogue and dissemination of knowledge. In essence, Dr. St. John’s capstone class is an exemplary model of what every college course should be: engaging.
Beyond the classroom, Dr. St. John was a source of guidance and counsel through out my final semesters at the University of Oklahoma. He served as the quintessential model for many students (including myself) in emphasizing that the college degree is only the beginning of a lifetime of learning. He served as a career and graduate school advisor, providing his insights on a variety of fields, and ensured that an Arts and Science degree is not a handicap – it is a cornucopia of possibilities. In addition, he is a dedicated employee of the university serving as the faculty component of the Sociology Student Advisory Committee. It is comforting to meet a professor that is openly dedicated to the student experience.
Dr. St. John, simply put, is blessed with a gift that allows him to impart both wisdom and knowledge without sacrificing entertainment or the integrity of the subject. In my experience, this type of educator is a rare find. Through the structure of his class, his dry and intelligent sense of humor, and his passion for the impact of sociology on society, he leaves students with some of the most important knowledge they can acquire through a Sociology degree -- an understanding of human possibility and atrocity.
In sum, Dr. St. John is more than deserving of this award. I can say with confidence that he has and will continue to be one of the most influential individuals in my life. Providing a letter of support for his nomination is only an insignificant flicker when compared to the impact I am already certain he has left on my future.

-Read Elyse's Blog. It was a good one.

-Read and commented on Whitney's blog - glad I'll have something else to read!


-Writing this.



As for after work? Go home and make an egg salad sammich.


All of these assignments have really made me think: "I should establish theme days at work."


I also think this is really funny:









3 comments:

Whitney said...

That sucks about the BYU tickets. REAL bad. My family is coming that weekend and we all got tickets together to go!!! Are you coming back that weekend?

Logan said...

Yep, I'm going to the game. Still weird that the first home game is not actually at home.

laura said...

I hope Dr. St. John has the opportunity to read your recommendation. It was insiteful, complementary and entertaining. I enjoyed reading it and I'm sure he would too.