Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One-hundred and eighty

The title refers to the amount of money I spent on eye drops.


So this weekend I went blind.

(tangent: I always want to spell blind like blonde, with an 'e' on the end)

Actually, I think I've been going blind for weeks now. I went in for a routine check-up (even though I had a host of complaints) and she told me I have some kind of an eye infection. How do you describe the feeling of an eye infection, you ask? Like a sandbox in your eye. Once this was explained to me I thought "Why yes! I've had an eye infection for months!!!" I suppose I rationalized it by thinking that I actually had sand in my eye. Turns out no. Just my eye ball turning on itself.

So she gave me a perscription for eye drops. Actually make that two perscriptions for eye drops plus an over the counter (totaling $180 in eye drops). That works out to be 3 drops at 3 times per day equaling 9 drops with 15 minutes between each drop in the set. Totaling 30 minutes per drop session. That's an HOUR AND HALF PER DAY THAT I'LL SPEND BEING CONCERNED ABOUT EYE DROPS. Needless to say I overcame my fear of putting eye drops in. On a side note, they really are fantastic. I suggest that anyone who has dry eye should take the plunge.

I've adopted the phrase "It's time to doctor my eyes" - which instantly increases my age to 86. Also - no glasses for a week. Sorry, Bethany and Jason, scooby-looking Logan has to come to your wedding. Hope the photographer isn't distracted by the glare off of my lenses.

New development:
My mom thinks I have an abrasion on my cornea. That sounds like something I would remember. Her suggestion? Ointment and an eye patch.

Now if you'll excuse me, the next 30 minutes will be devoted to doctoring my eyes.

No comments: